Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary

Located in the old section of town in Pula is the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary, which is in its shortened form also called the Church of the Sacred Hearts, or, the Holy Heart, after the nuns who had founded it.

The church, together with the appurtenant convent, was erected in 1908. It features distinctive elements of late Baroque classicism, and it was built based on a project began by Virgilio Volpi, and concluded by Domenico Malusa. It is 34.6 m long, 14.7 m wide and 15.3 m tall. According to plan, a 26 m high belfry should have been built as well, originally in the rear of the church, and subsequently, in accordance with the revised plan in front of it, which was never carried out.

The nuns left the church and convent at the end of World War II and the structure had since then never been in use. The Church of the Sacred Hearts was used by the Archaeological Museum of Istria as a depot from 1958. The roof of the church caved in as it was not possible to perform any restoration works on it, all of which was further aggravated when the fill under the apse began to sag, resulting in the separation and cracking of the apse due to poor construction techniques employed for its construction.

The Archeological Museum of Istria started an initiative to reconstruct the church in the late eighties of the 20th century, in order to establish the Museum Scientific Center. In the early nineties, the archaeological materials that were kept at the church were transferred to Fort Bourguignon, and a new roof was built. During 2007, works began on a project to renew the church that was according to the original plans supposed to become a medieval lapidarium, which was then abandoned in favor of a new idea, whereby the church would house the Holy Heart Museum Gallery.

The structure is designed as a multimedia venue that can host either museum or gallery type exhibitions, but which at the same time can serve for lectures, conferences, scientific gatherings, performances, concerts, films, festivals and the like. A special effort was made so that persons with disabilities can move freely everywhere around the building, which in turn resulted in the erection of a vertical platform for the disabled in the church, followed by a special toilet for the disabled, and a special ramp leading to the church, enabling thus the disabled to access the church. Galleries were added to the lateral aisles of the church, which are connected by a bridge. The apse was partitioned off by a large wall that can be used to project films and other visual presentations. The premises were likewise equipped with a heating and cooling system, enabling them to be used throughout the year. Also installed were lighting, alarm, surveillance and audio systems. The surrounding area has been arranged in a manner to facilitate the organization of various events.

The scheduled opening of this facility is planned for the middle of July 2011. It is further planned to give this Museum Gallery its readily recognizable brand, creating its visual identity, followed by a gradual conversion of the church into a venue used for the presentation of cultural events to tourists during the summer months, and to the inhabitants of Pula and indeed the entire Istrian Peninsula during the remainder of the year.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Roman Pula

Set off on the adventure "Roman Pula" 
The Archaeological Museum of Istria, Tourism Office Pula and Association of Tourist Guides have launched a new project "Roman Pula", wishing to bring ancient Pula closer to tourists who have chosen the city as their holiday destination, so that "Roman Pula" is a sightseeing tour focusing on Antiquity.

Tourist guides dressed in ancient clothes will tell you the story of Roman Pula. The tour begins in front of the Arena, then continues to the amphitheater's underground area and then on to the Temple of Augustus. In front of the temple, theatrical group FERR performs the ancient play "Pia"; charming and witty actors announce the play as a somber, cruel and bloody drama in three acts.

It is then followed by a walk through the center of Pula, and the tour ends in the courtyard of the Archaeological Museum of Istria where tourist can see how pottery, Roman mosaics and Roman hairstyles were once made, with an especially interesting glimpse into fashion details of Roman clothing. And last but not least, savor and enjoy delicious Roman delicacies!

Set off on the adventure "Roman Pula" and be a wealthy Roman for a day, it's an interesting experience.
Information: Archaeological Museum of Istria tel. ++52 351 318, e-mail: gaby@ami-pula.hr

Monday, May 21, 2012

Istra Inspirit

Istra Inspirit is a series of events that revive history, Istrian myths and legends at authentic locations.
In only a few days, you can travel through time, through the period of castles, Roman villas, urban centres and museums, participating in Roman feasts, medieval executions, Baroque balls and visit a coal mine.

Moments of Istria’s mystical history, demonstrated by excellent actors in superb scenery, followed by a specially prepared dinner with menus from various historical periods, entertainment, dancing and interesting surprises... Take an opportunity to experience extraordinary magical adventures possible
only in Istria!

Mythical creatures of Istria
The food of the giant Veli Jože, the sorceress’s magic potions and the games of the ancient circus
Enjoy an interactive program for children and adults, including sketches, workshops and playrooms with Istrian mythological creatures and legends. While watching a play of the ancient circus that once provided entertainment at fairs with unusual musicians, jugglers, clowns and fakirs, you can try the magic potions of sorceresses and sorcerers and the food of the giant Veli Jože...
The feast Constantine the Great honoured his son with and what made the stepmother wicked
The year is 326, and Crispo has just returned from war and his father, Constantine the Great, declares him his heir. Fausta, Crispo’s stepmother, tries to seduce him but does not succeed and decides to seek her revenge. This play takes you into the world of Roman plots and intrigues, love, hate
and revenge, followed by a feast of dishes made according to ancient Roman recipes...
The food of fishermen and farmers and discussions at the tavern
Not so long ago, fishermen would catch fish from their batana (a type of boat), while farmers made wine, after which they would all meet in the Spacio
(tavern) and sing about their lives, the sea, the countryside, tales of unhappy loves and happy endings. They would comment everyday events and sometimes, filled with wine and fish, they would quarrel...
Mare the witch
Why the herbalist Mary was burned at the stake and how the executioners celebrated
In 1632 Mare Radolovich was a local herbalist and healer who was accused of witchcraft by her neighbours, the same people that she had healed and helped. They accused her of making a pact with the devil, declared her a witch and condemned her to death by burning at the stake in the castle’s
courtyard. Did she survive? Discover the truth at this renaissance feast in a magnificent Venetian fortress...

Domenico Furlan’s thievery and how justice was served
In the year 1699, the infamous robber Domenico Furlan destroyed the tabernacle of the Basilica in Poreč and stole its gold and silver ornaments. At his trial, he was found guilty of this unprecedented act and was executed. Join the people’s celebration of justice served that turns into a baroque celebration...
The lighthouse of love
The secret love of Count Metternich and why they didn’t live happily ever after
The year 1818 marked the construction of the lighthouse that will later serve as love nest for Count Metternich and his lover, a young woman from Savudrija. Experience the delight of this forbidden love with the sound of a crackling fire and the fragrances and flavours of love potions. Enjoy the
dishes sprinkled with aphrodisiacs and follow the story of two lovers...
Jules Verne: Escape from the castle
How Count Sandorf escaped from the castle and what Jules Verne knew about it
In Jules Verne’s novel, in 1867 Mathias Sandorf was preparing a conspiracy for the secession of Hungary from the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. But, he was discovered, and after a trial, was thrown in the Castle of Pazin to await
execution. Sandorf and two other conspirators managed to escape from the castle by descending the cliff of the Cave of Pazin into its abyss. Enjoy this adrenaline adventure followed by a party, drinks and music from original
historical time period...

Old Buzet
How they baked bread and what music they danced to in old Buzet
In an extraordinary surrounding you will experience sounds, flavours and fragrances, talk and music, sights and spirit of the 20th century and the past times. You will make your bread in the old-fashioned way, learn old dances accompanied by the sound of accordion, double bass and violin, play the game ‘pljočke’, or simply take a walk and discover the streets and squares, old workshops, tasting rooms, wine shops, souvenir shops...
The Miner’s Republic
Is there a sky under the ground? The lives and food of coal miners
Take a walk through the year 1921, 150 meters below ground, under 20 million tons of stone, where there were no sunlight, sky and perception of time, there was only the darkness... and REVOLUTION!
This difficult and touching story about the human strength and pride will reveal the life of miners in one day, from their job to their meals...

Monday, April 16, 2012


Perched on the hilltop in central Istria above the Mirna Valley stands the town with the best preserved fortification system in Istria. In prehistoric times already, people recognized the advantages of living on its plateau where they built their settlement. We are not certain of its power at the time, but its development can be traced in the document from 804, when a report from the Assembly of Rižana was written. Along with other complaints presented by representatives of Istrian towns at the large gathering at the Rižana River, they spoke about taxes to Byzantium whose amount reflected the economic power of the towns and villages. According to its taxes, Motovun was right after Pula, Poreč and Rovinj. Considering such economic power in the Early Middle Ages, the number of material evidence from that time is incredibly small. Only a few fragments of church stone furnishings were found, while one of them was walled into a Motovun café and is worth finding!
Until the 12th c. the town was ruled by the Patriarch of Aquileia, and after that it was taken over by the Counts of Gorizia. According to its first walls and buildings (communal palace, old loggia, church with belfry), in the 13th c. it presumably functioned as a crafts and trade center with a fortified citadel. The Communal Palace, a Romanesque building from the 12th/ 13th cc., is preserved to such an extent that traces of its walled windows are still clearly visible. Standing at the entrance to the central part of town, its function remained the same until nowadays – it is the Motovun Town Hall.
In 1278 Venice completely took over the rule. In the beginning of the 14th c., the town saw an accelerated development and the lower town Borgo was formed, being fortified by new walls. The quality of living improved too; as early as 1331 the town had its own doctor and pharmacy.
In the 15th c. Motovun became the border fortification between two great forces: the Venetian Republic and the Pazin County.

Owing to this new function, strategic position and location along the navigable way of the Mirna River that enabled lively commercial activity, Motovun reinforced its status of one of the most significant Istrian towns. The fortification system was reconstructed, and followed by intensive construction of churches and residential buildings. The town also spread along the eastern ridge and the Gradisiol suburb was formed. The Church of St. Anthony of Padua was built in the 15th c. Somewhat later, in 1521, the church and belfry of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Gate was completed. Its high altar was made by the well known workshop of Paolo Campsa, one of the most popular Renaissance woodcarving workshops in Istria. In 1584 the Franciscans started building the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary dei Servi. It was completed, as the titular says, by the Servite Order.

The citadel in the center of town assumed new traits as well. On the site of the earlier one, a new three-aisled Church of St. Stephen was built between 1580 and 1614 in the Late Renaissance style. Between the church and the Communal Palace stood the large square with wells. If we come to the square, we will find ourselves standing above the large town cistern that supplied entire Motovun with drinking water.
Constant reconstruction and reinforcement of the town walls encouraged by the position and new status resulted in a multi-layered fortification system. The central ring with a monumental gate on the west and defense towers on prominent positions has a wide promenade. The second ring that was accessed through a monumental passage by the Communal Palace, where a small lapidarium stands today, encompassed part of Borgo, Barbacan and Gradisiol. A third section of walls was built along the second one in order to embrace the remaining part of Borgo. This pattern of passages through the first and second ring of the walls, formed an oblong square at the far end of which a new town loggia was built in the 17th c.

If we stop for a while on this square-belvedere and look at the surroundings, we will notice an unusually dense forest to the right, along the Mirna River. This is the Motovun Forest. Its wood was extremely prized in Venice, because examples of its gently curved common oak, were also used for building the hulls of Venetian ships. 
At the end of the 18th c., when circumstances of living changed after the fall of the Venetian Republic, the Rialto suburb was formed. The importance of Motovun began to decrease.
The town functioned as an important station along the Parenzana route. Its revitalization began recently when the town assumed the role of the major tourist center of Istria with many international events, of which the best known is the Motovun Film Festival.

Don’t miss:

The drive along the Mirna River, all the way to the foot of Buzet and back towards Motovun. This way you will be able to feel how Motovun was perceived by the seamen who for centuries sailed the one-time large Mirna River.

Interesting facts:

Who was Andrea Antico after whom the main Motovun square was named? Antico (1480 – after 1538) was the first printer of music sheets in Rome, composer, editor and publisher, allegedly the best music printer of his time. He was born, of course, in Motovun.(revitas.org)

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Oprtalj / Istria


It is not easy to find an attractive introduction for Oprtalj, yet another fortified town on the hilltop. No matter how attractive it was at the time of its prosperity, it is presently inexplainably neglected which is why it is usually not included in tourist itineraries of medieval towns. However, its development is not much different from other towns of the same group.

Here again, fragments of prehistoric pottery reveal that the settlement was formed on a hill plateau, on the northern side of the Mirna Valley. Life continued in Antiquity, while in its later phase, at the threshold of the Middle Ages, the population presumably grouped in the fortified refuge on a defensible, elevated position, after which the settlement gradually developed into a castle of the High Middle Ages.

In written sources from 1102 it was first mentioned as Castrum Portulense when it was formally governed by the Patriarch of Aquileia. The preserved buildings from that period consist only of remains of the defensive walls and part of the old Parish Church of St. George, visible in the lower zone of the northern wall.

Oprtalj was besieged by Venice in 1421 when it became part of the defensive system of the Venetian possessions in Istria. The most impressive proof of reinforcement and extension of the walls is certainly the tower of the town gate, but equally important is the square tower below the parish office, later turned into a housing area. The area within the walls saw new changes: the loggia was built not far from the entrance to the town, the grain storehouse was built in the central square, the earlier parish church was replaced by a new three-aisled church with ribbed and stellar vaulting with a deep polygonal sanctuary, whose elements are decorated by signatures of the masons of Carniola.

The peculiarity of their reliefs is not limited to the representations of saints. We are able to notice more secular figures: the knight, the forest man and black man.  The church was consecrated in 1526, at the time when other towns had already gained Renaissance buildings. That is why it is unusual that Oprtalj insisted on the elements of the elapsed Gothic style. Less than a decade later, yet another church was in construction - that of St. Roch, decorated with mural paintings by Antun from Kašćerga, who never suspected that in the centuries to follow it would become the mausoleum of wealthy Oprtalj families.

The Communal Palace was built next to the parish church in 1471. That same year Master Klerigin III from Koper wrote the year of completing his mural paintings in St. Mary’s Church outside the town, where works of three other painters can be found.

It is unusual to see a number next to the name of a painter, for nomenclature usually accompanies the nobility. This is because there were as many as three masters akin from Koper who worked in the same area.

The further development of Oprtalj was defined by the construction of town palaces and also the walling of the lower town. Particularly impressive is the erection of the additional defensive system whose importance may be understood if we look at the bastion at the entrance to Oprtalj.
The 18th c. gave a new swing to public buildings. The parish church facade was renovated at the time, the belfry completed, the town gate reconstructed, and the monumental Milossa Palace was built on the section of the defensive walls. On the site of an earlier one, a new town loggia was built in the Baroque style in 1765, and is considered the finest example in Istria.
In the late 19th c. Historicist villas were built such as the Timeus House near the school or the Corazza House in Livade. Further indications of the desire to reside in Oprtalj can be identified only recently in the form of occasional historic buildings of different levels of success.


The village Čepić and the nearby large three-aisled Gothic Church of Our Lady of the Snow and the village Zrenj.

Interesting facts:

The large relief of St. Mark’s lion, displayed nowadays in the Baroque loggia in front of the town gate originally stood on the Communal Palace pulled down in the mid-20th c. The unusual anthropomorphic muzzle reveals that the relief, too was made by domestic masters from Carniola. Earlier, in the second half of the 19th c., two chapels in the square were pulled down: St. Mary Minor and St. Mary Magdalene. The latter stood next to the Communal Palace and that of St. Mary Minor behind the parish church. This means that in the small central square of Oprtalj there were once as many as three churches.(revitas.org)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Apartments in Istria

Apartments in Istria are the most suitable accommodation for families who would like private atmosphere on holidays in Istria.
Istrian apartment offer is various. We offer you apartments, in private accomodation, campsites, or apartment-settlements.
We hope you will easily find the most suitable apartment for yourself.  

Histrica.com, the direct contact with your choice !